Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, September 01, 2005

"Why Don't They Speak English?"; Or, The Story of the Pokie Little Puppy

Some years back, I wandered into a local store where the owner, suddenly asked me, "Mr. Woulfe, Why don't your students speak English?"

"Well," I replied, "I bet you were a great reader. Can you remember the first book you ever read?"

"I sure can," she replied. "It was The Pokie Little Puppie." "I remember it like it was just yesterday."

"Well," I asked, "Can you remember how old you were at the time?"

"Yes, I sure do remember. I was seven."

"And I bet your mother read to you each night?" "Oh yes," she replied.

"And I bet you were pretty sharp, too," I asked. "Well, I hope so," she replied.

"Well," I said, "It took you seven years and you were quite bright, so let's just wait seven years and we will see how my students are doing then."