Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, September 01, 2005

What Business are You in?; Or, Memories of Mr. Haines; Or, The Miracle Business

Sometimes one can be in the right place at the right time. When I began in the hospital business with Unity Hospital, they had just added 100 beds, were rapidly growing and having erratic census. That all adds up to problems. The usual problems of growth. It was just like a bad first half of football. With a few adjustments, the second half could be glorious. So it was for me.

I worked very hard in the first 90 days, and with the right staff, we saw an amazing change in results. I was excited. We all were. I then got the call that the big guy, the head administrator, Mr. Haines, wanted to see me. Face time with him was big. People fought for it. Remembered it. I was just a little nervous as I headed up to the office suite.

When I entered the offices, his secretary told me,"Go right in, Dick. He's waiting for you." That made me even more nervous.

Once in his office, I was startled by his appearance. He was dressed in a surgical outfit, with the mask propped up on his forehead. Sticking out from the bottom of the outfit was his wing tip shoes.

He shook my hand warmly and said, "Good to meet you, Dick. Sit down and relax."
"Excuse my appearance, Dick, but I have just had an unbelievable morning. One of our board members' daughters was rushed to the hospital this morning with a rare complication, and her life and the babies life were in question. I am close with the family, and came in with her. It was very tense. But at the critical moment, Dr. X made all the right decisions, and both her and her baby will be just fine. It was really an amazing thing. It was like a miracle. I'm still on a natural high from the experience."

Then he went on. " Dale has told me nice things about what you have done. I want you to keep up the good work. But above all, I want you never to forget what business we are in. We are in the miracle business. Yes, we are surrounded by numbers, numbers, numbers, and it seems after some long days, that numbers might be what this is all about. Really, if you ever get to the point where that is all it is about, your career is really over. We are in the miracle business!"

After shaking hands and thanking him for his time, I went back to my office. The meeting was nothing like what I had expected. His words, I have never forgotten.
Every guru, every consultant who ever came to any business I have ever worked for always started the session with the words " What business are you in?" Mr. Haines knew.

So I ask you. What business are you in?