Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, September 01, 2005

On the strong finish; Or, why Q yells "focus" at the 2 mile mark

When my older daughters were in cross country, all the parents would be near the 2 mile mark. We all urged them to "finish strong." Q was there and always urged them to "focus, " but never said exactly on what. Anyway, one race at the golf course, my oldest, Amy, questioned my support. "What's the point, Dad? I am running terrible today; I feel awful. Who cares how I finish at this point?"

She did have a point. However, now that I have had some time to think about, like six years or so, I think the answer is that it is all in the habit of giving everything to the dream. The habit is more important than the particular time.

I think the finish might just define what a person is made of. Anyone can start a race. Most get to the half way point. The fade in the final stretch is legendary.

So, go ahead and FINISH STRONG. When I figure out the "focus" thing Q was yelling about I will write about that too.