Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Do You Believe in Pinocchio?

One of the great journeys that we all seem to go through is not only deciding what we like and dislike, but also what we believe and do not believe. This journey is short for some, and long for others. Exciting for some, disturbing for others. The results are not always predictable.

Years ago, one of my kids, on the way home from church, said, "Well, Dad, I just don't believe that. It's just baloney. It's just a story."

I replied, "Well, I suppose you don't believe in Pinocchio either?" "Of course not," she replied," That's just a story too."

"Well," I said, " let's put the question another way. " Do you believe that when people lie they are changed and become a deformed person?" " And that the transformation is obvious to all around them?"

" I never thought of Pinocchio that way." she replied. " In that case, I guess I DO believe in the story of Pinocchio."

Then I said, " Ditto for the other stories that you say you don't believe in. Don't let the details of the story confuse you about the real meaning. You might be surprised in how much you really believe.

So how about you? Do you believe in Pinocchio? You make the call.