Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Why Don't My Kids Understand?; Or, A Short Lesson in Math

Some years ago, I was bemoaning with a friend that it seemed that my kids had no clue as to where I was coming from. If men were from Mars, and women were from Venus, it was very unclear what planet my kids were from.

After listening intently, he said, "Well, I think I understand."

"Do you remember when the first time was when you really understood where your parents were coming from?"

"Oh yes," I replied. " I remember exactly. It was the momemt we brought our first born, Amy, home from the hospital at birth."

"And how old were you then?" he asked.

"I was 35."

"And how old were you when you graduated from college?"

"21", I replied.

Then he smiled and said, "Well, It took you 14 years from graduation till you had a clue, so I guess to be fair, you should at least give them that long, wouldn't you think?"