Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Power of Positive Thinking;

When I attended college, I lived with my grandmother, "Nana" ,in St. Paul, in a home my grandfather, Michael Woulfe, had built in 1912... identical to the one on East Main that I live in today. When I moved from White Bear Lake to live with her, she was 81.

One day I happened to mention to her that I had seen some of those old fashioned black, large, square heeled, shoes that she wore on sale at Dayton's. Anyone, who is familiar with the shoe styles of the 1890's is familiar with the style of these shoes. "Nana" had worn these shoes for a long time...she had made them last ...for at least 15 years. Anyway, I noted the size and she agreed that she needed a new pair.

As I was getting in the car to leave, she came out to the porch, waving wildly, like something was very, very wrong. She had recently had a heart attack and I feared for the worse. Quickly, I shut the car off and rushed up to the porch. "What's wrong, Nana?"

"Get two pair," she shouted.