Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Friday, September 02, 2005

Mrs. Heidi Garvin--Graduation Address--EHS--Class of 2005





Graduation 2005- Heidi Carvin address



Class of 2005, we are so proud of you. You are an incredibly talented group of students, some with talents you have yet to realize, but we know are there. It has been a privilege to have you in our schools.



An article in last Sunday’s paper explored the use of electronic bumper stickers. These are closing lines at the bottom of email where people try to humanize this somewhat impersonal form of communication.



As someone who does a great deal of my work via email, I have come across many such tag lines. I appreciate how they give me an insight into the person communicating with me.



For those of you heading on to further study after high school, I share this example. My daughter, who recently graduated from Beloit College, uses this quote from Leonardo Da Vinci: “Just as eating contrary to the inclination is injurious to the health, so study without desire spoils the memory and it retains nothing that it takes in.” It reminds me that force-feeding knowledge to our students is an exercise in futility. As teachers we have a responsibility to excite a desire to learn. As a parent, I also heard myself saying that my daughter has a responsibility to make the connections that will help create that emotional link that is essential to learning.



However, my favorite tagline comes from a friend and colleague and I believe it is relevant to all of you graduating today: “Be the change you want to see in the world!”



In the next several years, you will become increasingly analytical about your school, Evansville, your friends and your family. You may even blame us for what we didn’t do or didn’t give to you. Blaming is an easy thing to do. All of us could have done more or given more. But I encourage you to be the change you want to see in the world. Move quickly beyond the blame to forgiveness. When you think of things we should have done or things we should have given you, forgive us and move on. Move on to being and giving in a way that creates the change the world so desperately needs.



You are a very fortunate group of students. There are very few groups of students across the country graduating today that have the support and backing of a community like Evansville to rely on. You have many talents, you are full of wisdom. Forward!!!!