Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, September 01, 2005

In Praise of "Hogans Heros or; Why Sgt. Schultz is not a timeless role model

As a youngster, each day after school I rushed home to watch Hogan's Heros. Each day the forces of American freedom fighters matched wits with the totalitarian Nazi regime and won. In each episode too, the notorious Sgt. Schultz could save the day. He saw no thing! He heard no thing! He was my hero. It was just the time of day when after a strenuous day at school, doing nothing and thinking nothing was just what I needed and to think that it could be part of the freedom movement was just perfect.

Recently, I have mused with others how easy it is to avoid knowing, avoid seeing and above all, avoid doing anything about the events around us. It seems to be very easy. Very safe. Very Sgt. Schultz like.

I guess my role model, the wonderful Sgt. Schultz just could not be a role model for me for adulthood. I still really liked the show though.