Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Friday, June 30, 2006

Back to the Future 2016--another nightmare dream

(Ed. note: Due to reader request, I have republished a noted nightmare of mine.
Alas, the nightmare might be coming true.)

Last week there were three things that came together----the school board election, watching the old version of "Back to the Future," and our neighbors having a new baby. The suspense was building on election day when I saw the pickup truck in the driveway ready to go with the babyseat ready. There is just a special look that I have picked up over the years that alerted me--maybe it was the fact that the pickup was turned around with engine near the street for fast exit.

Anyway, that night, I had a dream I was on the way home from the hospital with a newborn. We were driving a pretty exotic car so I knew it was about 2016. Just as we entered the city limits, my wife said to me, "Don't forget to stop by the school so we can drop off the baby."

Yes. In the years since 2006, with enrollments dropping, and with the need for keeping buildings filled--- and teachers employed--- there came to be a push to enlarge the notion of "It takes a whole village" to raise a child, to the mantra, "Schools raise kids--- They know better." Quickly it moved from 4 yr. old kindergarten to 3yr. old pre-kindergarten and so on. Finally when the Coca Cola contract was cancelled at several schools, "Pampers" offered the schools a special volume discount, and nobody could resist the purchasing power and knowhow of schools. Yes. Schools really did know how to raise kids from day one.

When I awoke from the dream, I realized that it was just post election trauma. Sometimes when one loses an election, there is a slight disturbance in the dream pattern. No, the school busses were running as usual. The kids were standing outside ready to go to school. What a relief. For now, parents were still parents.