Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Patrick's Day is Friday;; A true Irish Tale; The history of "Woulfe"

Some years ago, I clicked on yahoo search for the name "Woulfe" and one of the only links was to a radio station in Florida. A Michael Woulfe was listed. So, I picked up the phone and asked for him.

"I want to speak with Michael Woulfe," I said. "Tell him a relative from Wisconsin is calling."

"I'm sorry, sir," the lady replied, "Mr. Woulfe is on the air right now, but he will call you back."

It seems that Michael Woulfe was the "Sly in the Morning" drive time radio broadcaster in Plantation, Florida.

When Michael called me, I mentioned that I had run across his web site, and that his picture looked very much like my brother. Besides, his voice was a duplicate of mine.

"Where is your family from?", he asked. "Templeglantin" I replied. "Ours is from Athea" he said. Well, they were very close towns, and in fact only a stone's throw.

To settle the matter, I just asked, " Are you 5ft. llin and 220 lbs. "Yes" was his reply. "Do any of you run"? No was his response. "O.K. you are related. I am the only Woulfe that has ever run. yo.

With that short conversation, he began a search of birth records including two personal trips to Ireland and found the connection. Out of that short visit came a worldwide search to put the family back together VIRTUALLY, and there have been studies from as far away as Australia of various branches.

Out of the search, worldwide, came my discovery of a namesake, Richard Woulfe that lived very close, but because of a step relation was not known to me. It has been wonderful to meet him and share in his wit, and meet his family. He looks very much like my father. His jokes are dry, just like dad's. Meeting him has been wonderful for the Woulfe men.

So----in honor of St. Patrick's Day, I want to send greetings to the Woulfe family worldwide.