Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Bauer Haus Mayoral Speeches----Aikman speaks



(Ed. note. The Observer will publish the text of each candidates speech if they make it available or a summary as well as a digital picture.)


I would like to thank the Lions Club for hosting this event this evening and for inviting me, and I would like to thank all of you for coming out tonight to hear what we have to say. Since Janis is moving on, this is an important election and all of the candidates are strong individuals with different styles and backgrounds. So thank you again to the Lions Club for providing me with this opportunity to introduce myself. I am Karen Aikman and I am asking for your vote to be Mayor of Evansville.

I know it is important to many of you to know that our Mayor has ties to Evansville. You want to know that our way of life will be understood, respected and preserved.

My husband and I moved to Evansville so that our children would have a sense of family and belonging. My mother’s forefathers, the Furseths and the Julseths emigrated from Norway around 1880. Their names can be found as Charter members of the Cooksville Lutheran Church and Evansville’s St. Johns Lutheran Church. For anyone who can remember them, my grandma Lydia was a teacher at the Furseth schoolhouse on the far East side of Evansville. This is where she met my grandpa, Art Furseth.

Some of you may know me as the youngest child of Patty Furseth, Evansville high school class of 1950. Some of you may know me as the mother of Anna and Sophie Aikman. I am the 5th generation of Furseths to walk the streets of Evansville and my children are the 6th.

However, even if I did not have this history, like all new comers, I believe Evansville has an appeal and charm all of it’s own.

That said, Evansville does have its issues and we find ourselves at a critical time…

Evansville has a lot of irons in the fire.

We have rain water concerns on the West side.
We need economic development on the East side.
We need to monitor and control residential development while still allowing growth.
We are anticipating a painful reconstruction of our downtown.
We have a fledgling TIF district to get on its feet.
We have a downtown that needs our continued support.
We have traffic flow issues.
And we have a lake in need of attention.
These are 8 special interests, and there are the day-to-day tasks of running the city to consider as well…not mentioning whatever problems or opportunities that may arise. We need a Mayor who can handle all of these demands. A Mayor who will stand up and take responsibility. I am here tonight to tell you that I am prepared to do just that.

I believe my professional background was tailor-made to prepare me for the job of Mayor of Evansville. I was employed as a project manager overseeing the build-out of a National Internet Network. This provided me with the hands-on experience of managing multiple tasks at one time. My current status as a stay-at-home wife, with children in school, provides me with the time the job demands.

Over these past two years as Alderman I have served on the Council and Plan Commission, I have chaired the Finance and Labor Relations Committee, I recently began chairing the Economic Development Committee, I sit on the Redevelopment Authority, and finally I am on the Large Scale Commercial Development Study Committee. Added to this, I have attended a number of seminars and meetings throughout the state dealing with local government issues.

I have insight and experience no other candidate has. I have a good understanding of what being Mayor entails and I know I can do the job well.

I have good working relationships with everyone on Council and City staff. This is imperative, for nothing gets done without cooperation.

I have good working relationships with the people who do business with Evansville as well as with the media that reports on Evansville. And finally, I have good working relationships with our State Government officials.

All of this puts me in the best position possible to keep the momentum going, and to keep the focus sharp. For example: I was called to south 6th street 2 years ago to witness the flooding, and I have been following the plans to correct the problem…but those plans still need to be implemented and completed. I understand some additional steps were taken in that direction last night, but there is more to be done.

I think I can make a tremendous difference in the downtown reconstruction. Project Management was my job before motherhood, and I know first hand the importance of monitoring, communication and follow-through as a project unfolds.

Perhaps the best benefit I bring is my leadership style of inclusion. Rolling out the red carpet if you will to City Hall for all who wish to join in on the decision making process. While I am capable of making the tough choices when called upon to do so, I think the best results come from allowing the most input. This is how I can best serve you. I can give you a voice.

So now it’s in your hands. You are here tonight to listen and judge who

will look after your interests and meet your needs the best. But more

than that, more than enjoying this evening out, you need to go to the polls

Tuesday the 21st and vote. Certainly I want you to vote for me and I am prepared to listen to you tonight and respond to your questions so that you feel good about casting your vote for me, Karen Aikman. Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. Dick I would to see you interview the alderman canidates. We have not heard from them. And as we know from history, they can educate them selves about city politics all they want, however if know one knows who they are, they will not win. People seem to keep voting for the people they know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched and listened to Karen Aikman at meetings. I like her, she stick with what she believes. I just wonder if it would be best to start fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that there seem to be two primary indicators that voters look for: competency and vision - in that order. Both are perceptions based on what the candidate has presented.

    A candidate can talk a great line, but do they have the ability to get it done?

    So far, we have little to judge on. Kim seems to pass the competency test and has a clear vision - though not necessarily the vision I would want. I'm still waiting to hear from the other candidates to present on both. Surely one of the other 2 1/2 candidates will offer their thoughts to the Observer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doh! - change "Kim" to "Karen"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walton----

    Yes. I am also waiting. I have requested from Mrs. Decker a copy of her speech as well as a picture, and have a call in to Mike Anderson.

    I do understand that not everyone feels that non-print media in Evansville is relevant and I do respect their wishes.

    The Observer

    ReplyDelete