Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Monday, February 27, 2006

What Would Elvis Do?

The other night my mother in law came to Evansville on her way down to Florida for a month stay. In the living room of The Observer, we took a short break from breaking news to offer the couple a toast: " To being 80, healthy, and driving down to Florida."

After a few sips, we happened to mention the fact that we were really enjoying our Sirius Satellite Radio. In fact, I offered that The Elvis Channel, #13, was one of my favorites. My wife then teased her mom about that famous Ed Sullivan Show appearance in the late 50's when Elvis, "the pelvis" was brought on stage and many families, including her's were banned from watching the sinful goings on.

Her mom just smiled in the memory of it. She never admitted she might have been wrong about rock n roll. We never pressed the point. We just sipped the manhattens and smiled. Knowing smiles.

It is just the same with the current blog and internet media fuss in Evansville. Oh no, hourly news and not just once a week. What a terrible thing! Oh what a threat to civilization itself!

I just have to wonder what "The King" himself might do if he were in my place. Yes, he might just be sipping a manhatten. And smiling as I told him the story. Then he might ask what song I would like to hear. That would be tough. So many to choose from.

I would probably have to go with "Poor Little Fool." But then there's "Jailhouse Rock" or "All Shook Up." It's so hard to decide.

What song would you ask him to sing? You make the call.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what song I would pick from the 50's and 60's , it is a hard pick if you want it to relate to current events in Evansville. I for one think your updates are great, hourly, half,quarterly. How ever you want to do it. I don't think you are a 'fool' actually quite the opposite. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ambulance===

    What a wonderful suggestion. The "wolf call" was a very rare recording and happened the night that Elvis found out about the famous liason of Pricilla with the karate instructor. It was a very rough recording as I recall, but I will work it up and see if I can duplicate it.

    The Observer

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the interests of fairness and accuracy the Happy Circumstance will be conducting a fact finding boondoggle to Memphis beginning mid-week next week. I will do my best to channel the spirit of the King at Graceland and report back.

    ReplyDelete