Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Lincoln Towncar-- a true story

Last week, after returning from getting our 1996 Mazda 626 repaired at Utzig Carstar Center in Janesville, I was pretty enthusiastic about the quality of the workmanship of their shop. So enthusiastic in fact, that I began dreaming of restoring my 1989 Lincoln Towncar.

You may remember the story. I had lent it to my oldest daughter who lives in Madison while the title for her Mazda was sorted out. That took almost a year, and in the meantime, that old Blue Lincoln was fit into the parking place the size of a small Honda. The resulting picture was not pretty.

My daughter had a very strict car repair budget. In fact, it was zero. Like many new college grads, it was not a real high priority. The drivers side door did not open properly, and I noted this as she returned the car to me. "Well," she said, "I don't really consider it a problem till one has to crawl in from the back." That is one tough minded budgeter.

So, I went over to the now famous Carstar branch office in the Brown Seed Building on Water Street,(882-0807) and spoke with Jim. I told him of the larger restoration dream and of the immediate problem--the drivers door.

When he asked me how many miles it had on it, I replied, "209,000." He smiled.
"Let me be direct with you, Mr. Woulfe," he said, "Do you think you are emotionally attached to this car?"

The question was a bodyblow. I replied, "Of course I am." I then reeled off a whole litany of why restoration was in order. First, it was a minister's car. It even had the religious symbol on the left rear window. And it had the true test of a minister's car---the premium stereo system that is so necessary for soothing the nerves of one called to the higher estate. Furthermore, I elaborated, I was really trying to be a proper role model for conservatism and was trying to give back to the community. O.K. maybe that argument was going too far.

"Well," he said, "Let's begin with the drivers door."

I got the estimate. Left a satisfied camper. I know I will have to let the car go. The slipping transmission is a sign that the end may be near. It just is so hard to let go sometimes. Hard to let junk be junk. The decision is so clear when you have to pay cash for the repairs.

My neighbors have suggested that I should apply for the Lincoln to be restored under TIF #5. I just can't get the nerve to fill out the application. It seems such a big strech of interpretation of "real property" to include my Lincoln. Just think of the precedent. There would be just as much tax increment as some of the proposed improvements, but still...O.K. it would be serious negative increment short term, but long term...in 20 years...the numbers just might work out...maybe.

O.K. I need to be realistic.

I need to let junk be junk. I will deal with the prestige...

Prestige Salvage that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment