Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, January 19, 2006

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT; Or, Pleading at the Public Trough to happen TONIGHT, 7:30PM, City Hall

Arch fiscal conservatives have waxed eloquent recently on the blog on alleged profligate excess in small amounts for such projects as the skateboard park etc,. Please be advised that the real action will occur tonight when the Redevelopment Authority meets to carve up the TIF #5 money. Will those same folks who have such passion for small amounts of governmental fiscal spending be also present tonight when the big bucks flow? We will see. Certainly any aldermanic candidate who has a serious interest in city political process will be attending. Stay tuned. The Observer will take attendance.

When I say TONIGHT's The NIGHT, I do not want to over sell the excitement of the meeting as a rival to the theme song for WEST SIDE STORY. One of the other songs from the musical would fit more appropriately, but I did have to get your attention. No, Maria won't sing. But, it would be good to review all those salesmanship tapes you have saved from your youth to refresh yourself on the superstar techniques employed by the pros. You can see all the fine points of salesmanship tonight. Think of it as a free night class.

If you are looking for the stretch limos or Cadillacs outside City Hall at 7:30PM, forget it. There is a long standing tradition that folks when they come begging drive their "humble" car....... The old beater that is the secret to their riches. So, look for the beaters tonight.

See you at the meeting.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am bringing the "Mystery Machine" I will provide 'treats' after the show

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are not going to say no to these guys. May I quote 'it's a done deal.' Thats why this council has got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There has to be a lot to happen for a large corporation to move here, for one taxes would need to be lower, we would need to have a larger workforce that would be in the area, I think VP and Stoughton Trailers employ a lot and GM is just down the road, and unfortunetly we are not near a major interstate so shipping is also a issue (look where most business/industrial parks are now). I attended a meeting last night and at first I was skeptical about the plan (I am glad the committe is looking at 'financial need' for the project). But this will help the downtown. There is a lot of character downtown, I would like to see more of the building owners make a attempt at the money too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not opposed to the project, but I also wonder how they can fill those shops, which was brought up by someone else at the meeting last night. If the project happens, I think they should try to recruit some businesses that would make Evansville more of a "destination." I am not sure what that would be, but if they could attract some interesting stores to go in the renovated buildings, between the shops and the interesting architecture, perhaps they could attract some out of town shoppers to spend a few dollars in Evansville on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you Mark. Holy Crap I said it. That is a great question. How many little shops can you have in town??

    ReplyDelete