Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Election Time in Woman Lake

Recently I have been on the road up to the frozen tundra of Minnesota to visit my old friend Herman, the country boy lawyer in Woman Lake. As you may remember, Woman Lake is near the famous Lake Woebegon. (Click on the post for some further info on Woman Lake). There are only a few women in Woman Lake and the only young one works at the Woman Lake Bait Shop. It is a classic bait shop with an exterior made of colored stones that is unique. Stop by if you are ever in the area.

I stopped in recently to check the results of the local primary. I needed to physically be present to check the election results since there is no internet service within 100 miles of the bait shop. They just got telephone service recently.

"Well," Herman said, "It was just the primary, but it is goin to be a real dogfight." There was three candidates, and just two remain." The Walleye guy was eliminated. "

"Huh?" I asked. I don't understand.

"Up here in Woman Lake, everything is REAL simple. There are Sunny, Bass or Walleye people. That't just the way it is. Can't change it. The Walleye guy was just out of place. There is no lake really to work with here for walleye. So, it is just up to the Sunny and the Bass fisherman to fight it out."

"What's the big difference?, " I asked. A fish is just a fish.

"Absolutely not,"Herman replied. A sunny fisherman is just a worm and bobber kind of deal. Real simple. Good eatin. Real laid back fishing skill. Wonderful people and all. Real simple and all. It's just boring. Now a Bass fisherman -----that's different. It's all about bigger boats, sonar, analysis, REAL skill. And Poker. The sunny guys just usually play euchre. The bassman loves poker.

"Which party do you vote for, Herman? I asked.

"I'm a bass fisherman, myself, Wolfman (that's what he always called me) It's just a more complicated world. Takes more intellect. Lots of detail on the analysis side. When I am worrying about how a bass might be thinking, it is hard to think of anything else. It's REAL relaxing. The sunny thing of fish and catch is just boring for me. I'm a Bass man all the way.


It sure is good to be back home. Home in our fair city. Free of the simple life of the northern tundra.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:31 PM

    what are you trying to say here?

    ReplyDelete