Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Friday, March 30, 2007

Nostalgia: Sept 2005--

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Falling off the Bicycle--a true story; Reflections on the Evansville growth bicycle

For over a decade, my wife and I annually receive a brochure from UW Plattville about the European bike tour, that features a 10 day bike ride---Usually there are three different countries to choose from.As far as dreams go, this one has been on the back burner.

Now that two of the kids have finished college, however, we are facing a dream crisis of sorts---the bike trip requires being fit enough to bike 50 miles a day for a week. Yes, I did do the 56 mile Sugar River Trail roundtrip some years ago, but did take a week off afterwords. We do need to get the dream in our lifetime, so....

The other night we both went out to begin training again. I wore my yellow "Lance Armstrong" t-shirt just for the occasion. About the 5 mile mark, I got a little thirsty and noticed that my wife had forgotten her water bottle. Having watched the Tour de France, I knew just what to do. I yelled to my fellow peloton rider, wife, to bike beside so I could pass the water bottle. Just as she was reaching, or over-reaching for the bottle.....she crashed to the pavement.

My wife is a cadiac sonographer for a local hospital, and her arm and hands, and yes mind are the keys to her occupation. In a heartbeat, we both held our breath. .....Ok. no broken hips or arms. relax...

Sometimes in pursuing a dream, one can, in the frenzy of things fall off the growth bicycle. Sometimes in reaching too far and not being in touch, reality can come and readjust the dream big time.For me, it bought back my favorite Zen saying, " When you walk, walk. When you run, run. Don't wobble. " When you are on the growth bicycle it is important not to overreach. The pavement comes quickly.
Posted by Evansville Observer at 8:44 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment