Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Dateline Madison: Observer chats with Mayor Dave

This morning The Observer had the pleasure of attending the Youth Recognition Breakfast at Edgewood High School as part of the 2007 Martin Luther King, Jr. Youth Observances. 170 young students of color were recognized for academic excellence and leadership at this breakfast.

The Keynote speech was given by Dr. Charles Taylor of Herzing College, and titled "Education is Your Ticket Out." In his speech he told the students that the dream of "sports" as the ticket to megabucks was just a "long shot." The real ticket out for each of them was a quality education. I wish I had taken my recorder to get the audio. Maybe next year.

On the way out of Edgewood, I saw the mayor of Madison, Mayor Dave, and introduced myself. I asked him whether since the Madison City Council did not listen to his advice about the structure of the Overture Center financing whether I would ever see the headline "MAYOR DAVE WAS RIGHT"----- Mayor Dave just smiled. " I wouldn't want to make them feel bad," he said. Then he was greeted by another guest.

So--there it is. Right in the midst of the Overture scandal, the Evansville Observer got to ask the question.

Stay tuned as the story of the Overture Center in Madison is played out over the next years.

Next year I will take the recorder so you can hear the speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment