Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Sermon

On of the traditions in our family back in the 50's was the tradition of the after church quizz. As a means of making sure my sister, Susie and I were paying attention at Church, we were asked questions about it on the way home in the car. Soon we made game of it. We were a bit competitive I guess. We tried to outdo each other as to the finer points of the sermon.

Then Fr. Jackson came to the parish. He fashioned himself an orator of sorts. He was very, very organized. Each sermon was organized in outline. You might wonder how I know. Well. He shared the outline with the parish so we could follow along with the supreme logic of the sermon.

I still remember--it's been 50 years or so---- to this day his sermon "On Love." Once the title was out of his lips, I winked to my sister that this is one we needed to pay attention to. As any inquisitive teen, I was alert for any new information. I was all ears.

Then Fr. Jackson began his sermon. His first section, or "A" was on the general properties of 'Love." Points, 1,2,3. Then "How" God loves us was section "B" and then, logically, "C" covered the "Why" God loves us. Needless to say, there was no new information. It seemed that God had a pretty tightly organized love process.

Anyway, I still remember the ride home from Church. It was pretty quiet. Very quiet. In fact---- too quiet. So...I thought I would open with the first question......."Well..Susie, what did you think of point B2?"

Then both Susie and I burst out in uncontrollable laughter.

Then Mom interjected, "Now kids, that's just enough,.....enough. "

That was the end of the analysis.

I guess that Fr. Jackson was the winner over all the years though. We did remember each and every one of the points. It's just that we never did find love to be as organized as life unfolded. Alleluia.

this is an audio post - click to play