Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Mailbag: "Mason" writes: On change: On beginning and much, much more

Right now represents a transition for me. I was on the inside of the now famous Evansville blog scene and was on the outside of city government. Well as you all know my website is no longer. The feelings are mixed to be sure. Life was relatively easy for me when I was outside and complaining before the election. And so I make this transition.

At this point it is difficult for me to even speculate as to how this new administration will affect our city. One thing I can safely assume is that we are in for some changes. For one Evansville will have a new Mayor and 2 new council members. There most certainly will be new committee assignments and clearly a few more voices heard up at town hall. What will those voices be saying? Will Evansville care?

Since the election I have been congratulated by some, and some others have not a clue as to the make-up of their new government. I guess that is the apathy that so many people refer to lately. I have thought about apathy long and hard in the last few weeks and it seems to me that people view their governments on a scale of sorts. If it leans one way they may not care, and if leans the other way they may not care, however if it leans too far in either direction people begin to stir. And if the scale is able to actually tip completely to one side then you say you want a revolution…well you know we all want to change the world. For example if gas prices go up to $3.50 this summer we are going to have a whole new breed of activists out there. Just imagine Chaz in his Ford Expedition in a picket line…it’s easy if you try.

So how does all of this get people more involved in local government? Easy, as soon as the scale begins to tip, one way or the other, the people will begin to get more involved. Remember all people are different as to what level they are willing that scale to tip. That is a key point. So as long as everything is relatively safe, then you will still have your apathetic people staying at home and watching American Idol rather then going to the Economic Development Committee meeting.

As for me, well I am going to start changing right now. I am actually going to vote for my favorite American Idol contestant, not just watch the show. You have to start small people.

Mason Braunschweig

3 comments:

  1. If you want to hear ne voices in the halls of city government, just skip garbage pickup for one week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping you are able to get a spot on Finance and/or Planning -- that's where the action is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:45 PM

    Professional sounding not like that blog you used to do

    ReplyDelete