Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Friday, August 19, 2005

Watercooler: Two Minnesota Teacher Unions urge boycott of Wal-mart for school supplies--Should Wisconsin follow their lead?

Two Minnesota teacher unions have urged their memebers to encourage students to boycott Wal-Mart for purchasing their school supplies on the basis of the damage to families that Wal-mart causes.

Click on the post for the entire story. What are your thoughts on this? Should Wisconsin follow the lead of Minnesota? Do you buy your school suppies at Wal-Mart? Do you go for the cheapest or do you consider the impact of Wal-Marts employment policies? You make the call.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:05 PM

    I think if the teacher's unions want to do this fine, but as parents if you have more than one child, it can be really expensive to get everyone ready to go back to school. Every year I cringe just thinking about what else they have added to the list for supplies. Some one please tell me why 1st graders should bring a full box of sandwich bags, and a full box of snack baggies? I can barely remember to buy those for my own house, much less send them to school with my child. And lets not forget about the sponges..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:47 PM

    There are alot of companies that pay alot worse than walmart and offer no insurance at all, unless you pay hundreds of dollars a month for it, through them. My niece is going to school, and works part time at a movie store, and they pay min. wage. I could hardly believe it when she told me thats all she makes. They have adults who work there and I don't know how they can survive on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:43 PM

    Speaking of employment, Dick when is the Citgo by you going to open? I can't wait, I have missed it. I thought maybe you would know,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:01 AM

    One has to wonder if they (walmart) are just 'targeted' because they are huge, and put quite a few smaller business's out of business. Maybe instead of targeting Walmart consumer's should be complaining to the vendors about giving in to Walmart's demand for lower prices. These sell their products at all discount stores, I would think there would be plenty of business even with out selling to Walmart.

    ReplyDelete