Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Knock, Knock, Knocking on Heaven's Door" or "Son of a Preacher Man"---a true story

(Ed.note: click on the post for a version of the song by Bob Dylan)

Last Sunday, as the family headed out of town to launch the youngest to college, we reached for the music---it had been a long standing tradition that the very first song was always supposed to be a Tom Petty number. I offered that I had a special Tom Petty tape from years ago and they said "O.K."

As the song began, there were some moans. "We don't want Bob Dylan," they said in unison. "Relax" I said. Tom Petty is coming shortly. Then Tom Petty came on stage to thunderous applause and he began singing "Knock, Knock, Knocking on Heaven's door with Dylan, in limited acoustic version. We had never heard this version. We all loved it.

As the car rolled along, I remembered a famous lunch I attended last December----a lunch of all the community organizations in Evansville. I don't get invited to too many lunches, and was just launching into the entre when the main speaker arose. We will call him "Son of a Preacher Man"----

He began by recounting that he indeed was the son of a preacher man---and that many organizations in Evansville had dreams----and those in attendence knew what they were. He went on: "For a second, let's just go around the room and list off all of these dreams"----and they obliged. The new library, the new fire station, the new city hall, the new police quarters, the Lake Leota Project, the new schools, two of them, the new community center, and the new waste water treatment plant."

Just then, I decided to bite into my sandwich: The speaker went on. "I know that there are some who think we need to make choices. That we cannot have ALL of these things at once. For me, as the son of a Preacher man, I think otherwise. We can have it ALL!!! And NOW. That is what I believe."

That is when I chocked on my sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment