Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Dateline St. Paul: Classic Soucheray: "The Post Necessity Culture Plays itself out on Grand Ave"

Click on the post for a classic analysis by Joe Soucheray of the St. Paul Pioneer Press on the "Post-Necessity Culture on Grand Ave in St. Paul." There is a relevance to our own fair city.

In my college days, I lived a few blocks from Grand, and in those days there were the single green lamps similar to those here in Evansville. Then a decade or so ago, they upscaled Grand Ave with the two lamp lights, more cobbled streets and specialty shops with mixed use. In touring one day, I remarked that my youth sure was elegant and all----to which my brother corrected me that no---everything had been upscaled after I left.

The classic "Grand Ave Gazette" was junked and the "Avenue" paper was formed in four color. Very artsy. Recently, the "Avenue" has announced that it is folding. Other papers are gathering to pick up the pieces.

In several meetings a couple of years ago, the effort to restore our downtown was compared to the Grand Ave area of St. Paul. The article of Joe Soucheray has some instruction on some factors to consider when reviewing such a plan. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment