Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nostalgia: The Day the House on Church Street burned----or "We don't do no plannin, we just do what we Want"---a true story.

Some years ago, on a hot summer day, I was on my usual 30 minute bike run, and on the usual path that took me up Liberty street.....but something was different this day. As I approached Madison street, I noticed the crowd, and the smoke, and the fumes....and then the house in flames with the firemen on the sides watching and managing the fire.

"What's goin on,?" I asked a chunky, 3xl kind of guy watching. "Why are they not trying to save the house?" I asked.

"This is goin to be the NEW fire station," He grunted.

"WOW", I exclaimed. I had been to all the meetings, and had somehow missed this. Then it dawned on me that I did not attend the fire meetings.

"Would not a location out of town, maybe the empty PIG spot on Madison be a better place?, I asked. Was there any discussion or planning involved?"

"NOPE", he said. "This is Evansville, and we don't to no planin,....We just do what we want."

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:57 AM

    might I ask how much a new fire station located where "we don't do no planin" might have cost? I'll venture considerably less than the 2+million we laid out for the boys with new toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the time the fire district acquired and burned down the house next to the old fire station, no one was making any commitment to keep the fire station at its old location and expand it. At that time, the fire district was actively considering other locations for a new, larger fire station. But the property next door was available for acquisition, and the fire district purchased it so as to have the option to expand the old fire station if they decided that was the best choice. Having options is a part of good planning. It is unfortunate that whoever the Observer spoke with did not know there was method behind the apparent madness.

    Bill Connors
    Former Evansville City Administrator

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt Gaboda11:58 AM

    Why would the almighty GREEN Evansville destroy an alfalfa field, dump loads and loads of fill to get the fire station site up to grade, when they could have built over by the old Andrew Transit building. There are/were 3 or 4 acres for dirt cheap, and I'm sure the old Andrew Transit property could have been had on the cheap as well.

    That would have killed two birds, removing an old eyesore dumping site, and the old eyesore Andrew Transit building. They would still have easy enough access to main roads, and if they were not in the city, annex happy Evansville can get the job done.

    I don't understand how such a do as I say not as I do city can look anyone associated with this area in the eye. Just because a few people in power agree does not mean it is the best decision that could have been made.

    It is always easier to sit in my glass house, but some things are so blatant, that I have to be me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:43 PM

    Thank you Matt for being you, don't ever change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:43 PM

    Ok, wait...the City is gonna spend 500 grand to make a new police dept. which is already obsolete--but the grand 'plan' behind this was that someone wanted the police downtown. So then why did the F.D. move to the outskirts?

    ReplyDelete