Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Nostalgia: Minn: White Bear Lake: Memories of the Avalon Theatre

What a shock. Last week the Avalon Theatre in White Bear Lake, right across the lake from Mahtomedi, my boyhood home, collapsed during some construction. It seems that there was really no proper foundation.

This was part of the shock. The other part of the shock was to hear in the Minnesota papers that the Avalon Theatre was part of my historic heritage----actually, I went there for my very first date as a youngster---and have to admit I do remember the girl, the movie and the Bridgmans malt afterwards, but alas do not remember much about the Avalon.

It seems the theatre had been converted to shops and there was a wine labeller in one and a parakeet shop in another. I think that's what happens to you when you lose your history. You kinda forget what the deal was. Yet its kind of a sentimental thing.

It is tough though, to recover your history just when it is being torn down. Still. I wonder about the girl. I think she married a minister....but I will have to confirm.

Click on the post for the story. Trust me. I am not making this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment