Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Matt Gaboda Speaks: On Why Wind is not the Answer

My reaction to anyone who is pro wind is, why? Don't
give me the easy answer: "by helping to reduce foreign
oil dependency and global warming."

People that think this is any of the solution, need to
quit buying into propaganda, and think for themselves.
Honda makes just as good a Hybrid as Toyota, but
people buy a Prius because it is " socially cool ".
If you do any research on your own, wind is not the
answer, I already know why, I want someone to
factually explain to me if they disagree. Not feel
warm wishful thinking, facts. Explain why using less
is not better than making more?

Evansville should mandate all homes have at least 50%
Compact Fluorescent bulbs by 2009, and an appliance
buyback program replacing old refrigerators and
freezers with more efficient products. That is just a
start. Some think just because I have spent over a
hundred hours researching Industrial Wind, that I am
in favor of dirty coal plants and flag burning. The
inconvenient truth to wind turbines is that all
turbines in this area will be owned by a company from
Spain who is a multi billion dollar company looking
for U.S. taxpayer subsidies. If their was no PTC or
other lucrative bonuses, their would be no turbines.

The sad truth is that turbines are not the answer.
More can be done by using less and encouraging
conservation. Destroying rural Rock county for a
foreign investors benefit is not my idea of America.
Reality is that nuclear power is going to be the
alternative, but its cuddly factor is not very high.

It's easy for some people to say how great something
is when they wear rose colored glasses. Take them off
for a second, imagine your lifelong dream and hard
work to live in a peaceful rural area destroyed by
people who don't know Theodore Robinson from Jackie
Robinson. It's always easier to agree with something
that will not affect every minute of every day for the
rest of your lives.

The Evansville Water and Light Committee is sitting on
their hands and not doing what is best for their
service area. The city gave me blank looks years ago
when some neighbors and me told the city of the water
problems on the west side. It's another classic case
of history repeating.

I have nothing to gain but peace of mind with this
battle. I am not a paid lobbyist, I am a blue collar
call it like I see it guy. I have done my homework, I
have the facts, I am my own person who thinks for
myself and will gladly debate this issue with anyone.
Imagine the first person who tried to argue the world
was flat, lead paint is hazardous, smoking is bad for
you, asbestos, Ross Perot, and Vioxx.

I wish wind turbines were the answer, I ignorantly
supported them until I researched them. Cost vs.
Reward, Large Wind Turbines are as big a business as
foreign oil with the same players. If you want to do
your part, use less, recycle, drive less, and think
for yourself.

As always,

Matt Gaboda

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:38 PM

    Matt,

    While agree with a majority of your post the thought of mandating compact fluorescents in homes is scary. You should not impose anyone from doing anything within their own home (of course the obvious). Compact Fluorescents will make their way into peoples homes when they improve technology and become better priced. Mandating anything is a very slippery slope. Other than that I think you had very good points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:03 AM

    Mr. Gaboda has sure written a lot on this subject. Too bad it has been a lot of nothing. He says many times that he has the facts, yet he never presents those facts. Specifically what is the evil with wind power and why he is the only person I have ever heard complain about what sounds very clean? If the only problem with wind power is that someone in Spain will make money off of it, well is that a problem?

    I think the problem for him is that his family has land in the area of rural Rock County where they are looking to put up turbines. So I wonder, do his "facts" include the fact that he has a proprietory interest in speaking against wind power?

    Mr. Gaboda would like you to think that Nuclear energy is cleaner (more green?) than wind power. That is a very tough pill to swallow when the "facts" presented in this diatribe only acknowledge that he has complained about stuff in the past that nobody listened to.

    I am not convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:10 PM

    It's funny how Matt believes enough in what he is saying, but the anony don't believe enough in what they are saying, to sign their names?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:04 PM

    In response to anonymous #2, I have presented facts. Check out my old posts on the Observer. Wind is not efficient, not reliable, and is a product of subsidies and incentives. Just because I care about the town of Union and am willing to put my name out there on this issue when others hide behind anonymous posts. I own zero land in the town of Union. I have zero vested interest in that area. Alot of Evansville residents have family that live in rural Rock County, does that make them biased? Present me with evidence. It is easy to dismiss me because you don't want to hear what I have to say. I would rather people give me reasons why we should do this and dedicate themselves to a cause they believe in. Instead anonymously they rip Matt Gaboda.
    I am proud of what I believe in, and will gladly take a pie in the face for a worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:38 AM

    It’s nice to see people getting interested in the wind turbine issue. What about rights? The landowner that says I have the right to do anything I want with my property should also say I have the responsibility to keep my business on my property. Whatever I do should not effect the quality of life or property value of my neighbor or the community. There is no Ben Cartright and no Ponderosa size ranch in our area. That is why we have zoning laws and smart growth plans. What ever side of the issue you are on please give the other side a chance. Don’t let anyone tell you how to think. This is a big issue that will be here for 30 years if the turbines are installed near Evansville. Go to the Evansville Library and look at the turbine display. Go on line and do some research. Visit some existing turbine sites and talk to local landowners who live with turbines every day. Find out if you are a WINDY or a NIMBY and if you don’t know what that means that it a great place to start your research. I was a WINDY after the first time I saw the Montfort Wind Farm but now I am a NIMBY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:43 AM

    That is a GREAT point Randy. I believe, I believe. Sorry for not including my name, as if you would know me anyway. As if I know you becuase you are called Randy.

    It is silly that people can still get wrapped up in "boo-hoorah" arguments when the points should not be lost by the people who make them.

    Anonymous speech is the purest form of free speech. Without anonymous speech many people would not make their points at all. How is that better for a free and open society?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:59 AM

    "Wind is not efficient, not reliable, and is a product of subsidies and incentives."

    Huh sounds like solar energy, should we stop attempting to harvest that as well?

    Yes some days are windy, some are not, but there is always coal and foreign oil because no one wants to drill more in Alaska. I guess we can just stick with the TRIED & TRUE energy sources.

    At this point it is plain irresponsible to not explore alternative energy sources. Evansville is known as a green city. A lot of work has been done to insure that in the city including the new Biodiesel plant, solar panels at the community pool & the City joining WPPI.

    Heck every year we have an energy fair in which many alternative sources of energy, including wind power are showcased via informational booths and kids' science projects.

    Mr. Gaboda in your response to anony #2 you do not really say that your your family does not own land in rural Rock county. You sort of slide by that one. Just because you do not own land there now does not mean you will not own land there eventually.

    The botton line is I BELIEVE you have a self-interested slant in your cleverly disguised arguments. I also believe that wind power is clean, much cleaner than coal power plants, or certainly nuclear power plants. I don't know anyone that wants a nuclear plant in their backyard. Yikes.

    We get it you don't like wind power for whatever reason. OK. Many people here are committed to exploring all sorts of alternative energies including wind, solar, biofuels and whatever else is out there. No matter what you have said and more than likely what you will say in the future will not change the minds of myself or many others around here that frankly feel that you like to complain an awful lot.

    Blow you might wind, blow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:50 PM

    If wind turbines are great and there are no health effects from living next to them, then why not put them up in the City? Perhaps in Lake Leota Park or near the west side water tower or the east side? The turbines are going to power 16% of the homes in Evansville, not Union. Maybe they should be built in Evansville.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:29 AM

    I agree with the last comment. If their are no health or safety issues with large turbines, put them in the City of Evansville. In parks, greeways, wherever. If they do not lower property value, why not throw three turbines up in the city. What sense does it make to put a city owned and directed project in Union township? The city needs to quit using the town of Union as a rented mule and take responsibility for there pet projects. Mayor Decker, why not show Evansville pride and put the turbines up on city land. I'm sure everyone that goes to the Energy Fair will applaud having a 400 ft tall source of renewable energy out there back window.

    Put the shoe on the other foot, it must be nice to dictate and dispatch these turbines so they are a cute and cuddly distance from the city. If you truly believe in these turbines advocate they be installed next to your house and I will not say another word, or should I say complain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:35 PM

    First of all you all need to be realistic. There is no way that wind turbines would, could or should be erected in a municipal setting. No private landowner would have the necessary space for these machines that would be necessary to turn a profit. And the city has ordinances that prohibit these in a number of ways.

    Secondly how in the world is the city dictating to the township that they are REQUIRED to put up wind turbines? The city has little to do with it at best. Someone has to have private land in Union and then want to sell or lease that land to a private entity that would install and run the turbines of which the energy harvested would be sold to energy companies (which is probably where Mr. Gaboda is referring to the Evansville City dictate).

    That being said maybe you should lobby the Union township leadership to prohibit wind turbines. I am assuming that you have already run that route and they have ignored your pleas, otherwise your backdoor campaign to have Evansville do anything about this is untimely at best and inappropriate at worst.

    Assuming I am correct please inform us as to how Union has dealt with this situation.

    ReplyDelete