Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Friday, October 19, 2007

Mailbag: Rep. Brett Davis Writes:

Time to Pass a Budget

On Monday, October 15, the state Legislature voted on Governor Jim Doyle's Special Session budget bill. As the only Republican in either the state Assembly or state Senate to vote in favor of the bill, I want to explain why. Put simply, when you take out the political rhetoric from both the Republican and Democratic parties during this budget process and focus on public policy, the Governor's bill represents a compromise that is not significantly different from the offer made by Assembly Republican Conferees and is an offer a majority of my constituents would support.

The Governor’s budget bill is not perfect but there are a few issues that stand out: lowering property tax increases and investing in health care, education, and public safety.

Not having a state budget in Wisconsin is not an option, primarily because it will lead to a significant increase in property taxes. The property tax freeze has expired and without increases in state aid, local governments and school districts will have no choice but to increase property taxes and reduce vital services such as police and fire services. The Special Session budget bill not only puts a property tax freeze in place, but also saves property taxpayers almost $360 million statewide over the next two years. No state budget means a 9 percent increase in property taxes statewide. For working families and seniors living on a fixed income, every dollar saved on the property tax helps improve their quality of life.

When the state Assembly and state Senate are of different political parties, differences are going to happen. For nearly two months I’ve been calling for a good faith compromise and an end to the budget impasse. The majority of my constituents are sick and tired of partisanship and dead-end negotiations. As a result, I put a lot of time and thought into my decision and listened closely to the concerns of my constituents on both sides of the budget debate.

I've learned that when you're working on a $58 billion budget bill with 132 elected officials with strong opinions, you are not always going to get your way. It doesn't mean you have to give in, but there is a place for true compromise and it's time. Not just by the leadership of both political parties, but by every legislator that has a vote. This action must happen soon or state residents will soon see the dramatic impact of not having a budget. To me, no state budget is an unacceptable answer. I'm calling on my fellow legislators to join me. We must move the state forward.

No Per Diem Pay Until Budget Passes

Families and small businesses across Wisconsin could not budget their daily lives the way the state legislature currently is. Adhering to the principle of “you don’t get paid for a job you haven’t completed,” I have not accepted any per diem payments since the July 1 budget deadline. As I continue my efforts to force a true compromise I will not take this payment. Per diem is a payment to legislators for their expenses when they work at the Capitol. While my action may only make a small impact for taxpayers, it is a principle I strongly care about.

If you want the state budget completed it’s time for you to get involved. Contact me, Senator Jon Erpenbach or Governor Jim Doyle, write a letter to the editor, or call into a radio program. Public pressure needs to grow even more throughout the state for other legislators to realize it’s time. Join me in my efforts to complete this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment