Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Gazette Extra: UW Corner: Badger Herald Paper fires editor for plagarism

This article in the Janesville Gazette is interesting because it goes over what plagarism is----that in today's clip and paste computer world, the source of the material still has to be noted for the reader.

Usually in covering the government area, it would be pretty easy to spot non attribution of source if there was indeed was someone supervising the editor--rarely is one the only source of facts at a meeting ---but in this case there was no supervision since the Badger Herald is independent.

I would suggest that the real problem may be structure of the Badger Herald. I wonder how many university newspapers are independent and have nobody at the University reviewing copy content. I will check some sources on that. More later.

1 comment:

  1. i have taken some teasing from other writer and newspaper folks who tell me that there is really no solution to this problem---college news editors are given a wide range of freedom and sink or swim with it. That is the opportunity and also the danger.

    I do yield to the judgment of my fellow writers. I do agree there was probably nothing that anyone could have done to catch this matter earlier.

    I will do the Galileo thing and recant.

    ReplyDelete