Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Orig Post: 10-26-2006: Nostalgia: Lessons From the Little Big Horn; OR, What Custer knew and When he knew it?---a true story

(Ed.note: Summer is historical Civil War Reinactment time and I have reposted this classic post from October 2006 without editing. Jim at Ace Hardware is the employee with relatives in Company K. He is a civil war buff. Custer was complicated.... and there are some parts left out of my sketch.)


Today I wandered out to the Ace to pick up some plastic for the windows. Yes the annual effort to save energy costs has begun in our home. I mentioned to the gentleman that helped me find the heavy mil exterior plastic in rolls,( it's in isle 12) that it's a little like Custer waitin for the attack of the energy foes.

He replied, "I know just what you mean. Besides, one of my relatives was in Company K, and died at the Little Big Horn."

Just a little stunned, I asked, "Well---- What was Custer's big mistake?"

"It was his vanity," he replied. "He was very much into appearance with ribbons and such, and disregarded his men---- That disregard cost my relative his life."

"Correct answer," I replied.

General George Custer had been the topic of discussion earlier on my trip to Galena with Paul C, the Civil War buff. He had let me into the secret of Custer's vanity. And that Custer was also a hot head. A selfish leader. He had his wife accompany him close to the battle, and let's just say he enjoyed privileges that the rest of the company did not. He disregarded regs.

He wanted to win. He did not care what the price.

"The other thing was that he disobeyed orders," I went on. "He did not wait till the cavalry came to meet him as he was instructed. Yes. It's always good to wait for the cavalry.

Finally, as we talked by the checkout counter, I asked, "Do you think that Custer in the final moments ever got it? Ever figured out what went wrong?'

"Well," he said, "I never thought about that."

I just laughed. "Leaders like that who just want to win regardless of the cost to their followers or their community or their country----they never do get it. Even at the end."

If you really love history. Really love Evansville. And really love the New Ace. Buy the heavy mil plastic in isle 12. And ask for the guy who had the relative in Company K. A hint. He is at least 50yr.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:12 PM

    I am forever amazed by Custer's celebrity even today, 130 years after the battle. I will leave it to others to debate your conclusion about GAC's defeat because the true reasons, I believe, are more complex. I would, however, love to know who the ACE gentleman's relative was because I am always trying to find relatives of the men. I will post a link to your blog on the www.lbha.org Message Boards. Thanks for an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete