Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Memories of Aretha Franklin---On "RESPECT", On " ROCK STEADY" and Much, much more

One of my memories of some years back was the prep rituals that my older daughters always did before heading out to do a little swing dancing, or yes--- even tango dancing--- in Madison. They always used to get pumped by turning on a little Aretha Franklin. Yes, even turning it up a bit. In fact, very loud. They always liked RESPECT and the follow up song---- ROCK STEADY.

I suppose there is a real thrill as one enters the workforce, or the real life of adulthood, in feeling the exhileration of paying your own bills...yes there is pain...but there is a lot of pride in being independent.

I remember how in Mr. Steve's class back in kindergarten--how that idea of RESPECT was one of the very first concepts that was essential for each child to learn in order to make that classroom work. What is mine? What is Your's? What is our's? How do we treat each other?

No---I don't remember back to my own kindergarten. Just 10 years ago I had the pleasure of helping in the classroom, as most of the parents do. I wanted to help. I was surprised how much the kids taught me.

The proper adjustment of curriculum--choosing the half day for a child and allowing that child's needs to be met, sends the signal of respect to that child--In Steve's class, there is a huge diversity of readiness, and yet there is a wonderful acceptance and respect for each other. It does not happen right on the first day. Mr. Steve works on developing it over the year. Trust me. Some kids learn RESPECT real fast. Some kids learn RESPECT real slow. And yes---some kids never do learn RESPECT.

Whether it is in the classroom, or the boardroom, we expect this type of mutual respect in order to be successful as a community.



this is an audio post - click to play

No comments:

Post a Comment