Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, December 18, 2008

On Peace; On Holiday Shopping: A mostly True Story

Last week, in working up a story on the Christmas shopping trends, I was browsing a Madison store, and indeed purchasing something---or waiting in a long line to purchase something in the men's section.

The woman ahead of me was purchasing one of the hottest items of the season. A ball cap ear band for a man, and some merino wool socks for a woman. As she finally got to the register, she asked the cashier:

"This ball cap ear band comes in two sizes, a M/L and a XL/ XXL. This thing is for a guy, and I just assume that the M/L is for the women since I assume all the guys have the big heads."

The sales clerk just paused and said nothing.

Then the customer turned to me next in line.....and said:

"You're a guy. It's the guys that are the big headed ones. Is that not so?"

As the woman had asked the question, her voice had rose, and a group of shoppers had stopped to listen to the answer. I said:

"Well, in my national survey, I think it is pretty evenly distributed who has the bigger heads, so I think you have to go with your feelings on this one."

"That's just what I thought she said----and purchased the larger size.

See. Right in the middle of a peaceful activity like purchasing a gift, one can walk into a landmine that might have touched off a little frenzy over who has the larger heads, women or men.

As the Observer, I have taken some ribbing that I just look for controversy----but see. Right here. I proved that thesis wrong. Right in the middle of a landmine in a shopping line, I can step aside nicely thank you.

Make a note of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment