Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Should TIF be used for unpaid or underpaid Fire Claims? How about a new Coach House with TIF money?

The question has arisen lately whether TIF money should be used to pay homeowners with inadequate fire insurance protection. Or homeowners who do not choose "replacement coverage" because it is more expensive, might possibly just ask for inclusion in the TIF district and then file a claim. Kinda creative.

Also. When one thinks of the Coach House. When in cases of possible arson, where insurance claims can drag on ...well...forever....could a commercial entity request rebuilding from TIF money?

Looking back over the past posts on The Observer. Yes. We keep the posts rather than delete them every week. Here is a nostalgic post from September 2005.

-----------------------------------------------

Tuesday, September 13, 2005
Reader Speaks: Why not make all of Evansville a TIF?

Yesterday on my bike ride, I observed a man waving at me vigorously---so I stopped. " Are you the Observer?, he asked. "Yes," I replied, not knowing what would come next.

"Well," he said "Why not make all of Evansville a TIF, and shorten up all these meetings? It would save a lot of hot air!"

Stunned, I had no immediate reply. Yes, I was speechless. I told him I would think this over and reply on the blog.

There would be lots of advantages....All East Main residents would be elegible for "historic siding" that would be covered under TIF even if it did not add one dollar of "tax increment" to the home value. After all, it is important to improve the entrance to Evansville.

After long and hard thought, however, I realized what the problem would be. In a city that is deeply concerned about conflict of interest, if all of Evansville were included in a TIF district, all of the council members would have to recuse themselves from the vote and hence none could occur.

I do want to thank the resident for the idea however. If you have ideas that you want to share, post on the blog. Thanks.

Posted by Evansville Observer at 8:15 AM

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:50 AM

    NO I think that its ridiculous that this is even being considered. This is just one more example here in Evansville, You scratch my back, I will scratch yours.

    These people had to have had insurance.

    Shame on them if they were under insured or had none, which I can not see being the case.

    If my house burns to the ground and I have no insurance I can rest assured knowing the city will pay for my damages.???

    Spending like drunken sailors? I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:14 PM

    Maybe TIF money can replace the gift certificates I bought there for Christmas Presents last year that no one actually was able to use.

    ReplyDelete