Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Monday, August 10, 2009

Mailbag: Reader suggests cuts:

"Joe Matrix"
Date: Aug 10, 2009 1:34 PM
Subject: budget suggestion
To: budget@ci.evansville.wi.gov


I am a city resident retired for 25 years. I have a few things I have observed over the years that I'd like to comment on and some ideas I think would help w/ the budget.

1- Start w/ cuts w/ Water & Light. They have more employees and vehicles then any other city department. They have new buildings and many new pieces of equipment. When there is no building going on in the city why are we building them new buildings and buying them new vehicles? It's the standing joke around town that we keep purchasing them new cars and building them new buildings when we don't have any new construction. They hire out most of their work. Why am I seeing W&L employees weed whacking and mowing lawn? Do they not have enough of their own work to do?

I heard they bought a new van and didn't like the color of it so they spent 3000.00 to get it re-painted. That is foolish spending.

At a typical incident when I drive by I see 4 guys standing around talking while one is actually doing the work.

What company has all new equipment and trucks when there is no new building going on?

I think they are a vital part of our community I just think we could cut some of the positions to save money.

2- DPW - I think is the most mismanaged Department in city history. In the winter if there is no snow what exactly do they do? How come I see hired summer help doing all the work while the full time year around people stand around doing nothing? Lets cut the summer help and require the full time employees to do work. Let's create a work cycle in the winter where some work a second shift to reduce overtime for snow removal on a late afternoon shift.

3- Eliminate the City Administrators position. We have a very capable mayor and operated for many years without an administrator. We have in place plenty of qualified board members and councils to over see the Mayor. We have a Finance Director, City Clerk, Deputy Clerk, Human Resource Director and many assistants that run City Hall fine and would do fine w/ just the Mayor over seeing them. They all know city business very well.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:55 PM

    I agree with every thing but get rid of the city administrator. It is the council and mayor that have gotten us in this hole. Get rid of them not the city administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt Gaboda12:12 PM

    Wow! It's nice to see some new blood. Nice comments. I would recommend you address the mayor or the city council president with your concerns, if you already haven't. Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People should keep in mind that the water & light utility's budget is separate from the city's budget, so cutting spendng in the utility would not help the city plug its budget hole or lower property taxes. The water & light utility is supported 100% by water and eletric rates. I think the municipal utility's electric rates still are much lower than MG&E's or We Engeries' rates.

    The Department of Public Works was effecient and well managed when I was city administrator. I rather doubt it has gone to hell since I left. I don't think David Wartenweiler would put up with that. There might be limits to what Wart can do in terms of work schedules under the collective bargaining agreement with the city employees.

    Bill Connors
    former Evansville City Administrator

    ReplyDelete