Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Thursday, February 05, 2009

"I Only buy American Made Clothes"-----a true story

Recently I had a chat over some coffee with an older gentleman---when right in the middle of the conversation, he asked me about jeans. He said, "I only buy American made clothes," and then went on a long rant about he just found out that his favorite jeans were made in China, and asked me, as a font of wisdom in the fashion area, if I knew of an American made brand that he could buy.

Relax I was gentle with him.

I suggested that most apparel is made in Asia these days, and that one should not make dogmatic statements about apparel, lest one might only have a fig leaf to wear....that is if even fig leafs are made in America.

A short check on the content of most goods in America, including cars, reveals that the parts come from all over the world.

Make a note of it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:15 AM

    I wonder if people in China wear shirts that say " Buy Chinese " and " Made with Pride, in China ". I don't know if that is isolated to us or do other countries have the same sense of nationalism that some in America do? To me it is no different than when someone says the Amish made something. That seems to be an accepted stereotype. I've seen some " Amish " work, and maybe they should not toot their own horn so proudly. German, Swiss, or even European in general seem to have a stigma of quality, but Taiwan, The Philippines, and China etc. get a bad rap. I have my thoughts on the issue, but looking back, Japan used to be known for knock off junk, bubble gummed together, and now, seem to be preferred over our own beloved country. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:27 PM

    I might suggest American Apparel as a clothing company with products made exclusively in the USA, although I'm not sure your older friend would like their style.

    Although it takes some searching, I've found that you can find pretty much anything you want in the United States (made here, too), assuming you're not looking for rare Nepalese honey collected from caves. Finding it is the challenge, and a fun one at that, in my opinion.

    A good source of information on this topic is the blog at http://americanboom.com/blog/. It has lots of useful information about American-made products, brands, and other related topics.

    ReplyDelete