Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Friday, February 10, 2006

Mayoral Forum: Bauer Haus: The Fourth Question

My fellow bloggers have reminded me that there was another question I failed to report on. A gentleman rose to ask: " Is it true that the city paid $150,000 to the Evansville Pharmacy just to move from one side of the street to the other?

Karen Aikman was the first to answer: "Yes" she responded. She has been awarded the "answer of the night" by fellow blogger "Ambulance." Mike Anderson answered that "This is what downtown preservation is all about. It's a committment pure and simple." Sandy Decker who spoke last, affirmed what Michael had said.

It is interesting that the question came up. The general sense I got from the audience was that yes this was the whole idea of the TIF for downtown. The issue of the $150,000 had been a vigorous topic of debate among the neighbors in the 4th ward. One neighbor approached the Observer with the notion that this was an outrage. Such a waste of money.

My response was that if I had been the pharmacy, it was not enough money. I would have insisted on a lot more. Naturally, the neighbors questioned my logic. I mentioned the large costs of fixtures and the other costs of moving, plus the committment of staying downtown for five years and the sacrifice that entailed, which when we think of the coming road reconstruction is going to be no small matter. In short, the city got a good deal on this transaction.

Make no mistake, given the future land use idea of a walkable downtown where seniors could get to the pharmacy, I strongly approved with the placement of the pharmacy downtown. That being said, I think the public does understand the use of TIF money was exactly what was called for. It was good that this matter came up in public at the forum so it could be settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment