Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Friday, February 17, 2006

The Valentine's Day Massacre

Recently I have been on the road up to the frozen tundra of Minnesota to visit my old friend Herman, the country boy lawyer in Woman Lake. As you may remember, Woman Lake is near the famous Lake Woebegon. (Click on the post for some further info on Woman Lake). There are only a few women in Woman Lake and the only young one works at the Woman Lake Bait Shop. It is a classic bait shop with an exterior made of colored stones that is unique. Stop by if you are ever in the area.

I stopped by unnanouced, and Herman said to me," Well, Wolfman (that's what he always calls me) you really missed all the excitement."

"What Happened?", I said.

"Well," he said, " As you know, it is Valentines Day and Louise who works at city hall has been going with Harvey who is also employed there. Anyway, Harvey was going to call Louise on the phone and wish her "Happy Valentines's Day" but decided he could not do it LEGALLY."

"Whatever do you mean, Herman?", I said.

"Well, " he went on, 'They are VERY strict up here on the "Open Meetin Law" and Harvey was worried that the two of them talking might constitute an ILLEGAL meeting."

" I find that a little strange," I replied. "There is so LITTLE law and order up here in Northern Minnesota, why would it matter anyway.?"

"Well, that's true. You just don't understand, Wolfman----There is NO law up here and all we have to really treasure is snowmobiling, whiskey and the Open Meetin Law. So----we have REAL strong feelings about all three. "

I was just dumbfounded.

It sure is good to be back home. Thank goodness I don't have to deal with the folks of the northern tundra and their funny ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:41 AM

    I jst read two interesting news pieces on the internet today - one is in Mother Jones.Com and discusses what happened to Paul Hackett in Ohio who was asked to run for office by his party and then smeared when they changed their minds, and the other was on Slate Magazine about the Government suing as spies, people who are giving and getting information the government says is classifiend. Both are troubling. Paul Hacketts piece is also called The Valentines Day Massacre.

    ReplyDelete