Evansville Water: The Movie: Part 1

Audio/Video Evansville Schools Meetings

Seek the High Ground

The Book of Minutes

Search This Blog

Wisconsin Wit

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Rolling Stones Remembered: "I Can't Get No Satisfaction--the analysis"; The miracle of the loaves and fishes

One of my favorite bands has always been The Rolling Stones. I have loved using their songs for running, having a special magical sequence of 'Start Me Up" and then "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" to get me motivated during the first few miles.

The other night, I happened to mention the song "I Can't Get No.."" and it was amazing that everyone could remember where they were when they first heard the song in 1965 or after. One person remembered a street dance where the band members were a little anxious whispering "Should we play it?" and then the band began and the crowd went nuts.

It seems that "I Can't Get No..." was kind of a Pearl Harbor event. Even though most of the folks I talked to admitted that at their tender age, they had no clue exactly what the lyrics were about, the beat was very catchy. Later, lack of satisfaction became clear in various areas of life and everyone kinda identified with the song. It was a "generation thing."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Sunday was "Loaves and Fishes Sunday"-----the Sunday where the Gospel was of the multiplication of the loaves and fishes. As is usual in our family, there is the quiz after church. I just asked the question, "So----what was the miracle?"

Members of the family quickly replied that it was a clear cut math thing----5 or 6 loaves and fishes feeding thousands equals a miracle.

"What about Elijah?" I asked. Usually on this Sunday, the first reading is from the Book of Kings,2, that reviews how Elijah fed the multitude also. Usually pastors see this as more of a "sharing" of bread, and not a clear cut miracle. My family was supportive of the work of Elijah as a nice gesture but no miracle. The Observer was not so sure. I remember sharing among kids ages 2-4 and yes even older, and I made the case that sharing can be a miracle too.

My major point was on the miracle thing---that the real miracle was that they were "satisfied." It was not a "math thing." The parables of old were not based on the sliderule. They were about obvious but hidden things. Like getting satisfied. Finding Peace. The Miracle.

In the end, the family outvoted me. They did compromise later by saying that both might be miracles.

So---How about you? Where were you when you first heard, "I Can't Get No....". And, yes, right before school begins, relaxing by the pool, it would be good to totally relax and find some peace and satisfaction.
this is an audio post - click to play